Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Springfield - Week 64 (Zone Leader)

Buenos Dias Familia!

Monday 7/27:  It was a late night last night.  We stayed up pretty late just talking about life.  So for Racquetball this morning a ton of peeps were there.  Probably close to 15.  Man was that fun!  It was a chill Prep day.  Just played some ball and waited for Elder Strech to get into town.  So Elder Strech is also a Spanish missionary and is from Pocatello, Idaho.  He's my first comp not from Utah or Arizona haha.  He's super into fitness so we get along really well.  We saw D and L last night and they've been slacking so we had a heart to heart with them. It's very simple and very important.  Most people just don't get it.

Tuesday 7/28:  Another late night.  Running on fumes today because Allen, Pickett, and Burnett came back over last night for their last night on the mission.  They said goodbye to us early in the morning.  It was weird to say goodbye to Allen since I started the mission with him and now he's headed home.  Time flys too fast.  Today we did some good service at Lane County Foods making lunches for a ton of peeps.  We taught A again this afternoon.  We had a great discussion about how the Holy Ghost guides us as we are worthy and  listen to his promptings.  We had District Leader training for the new DL's in our zone. Tonight we had splits and Hermano Gregorio came out with Elder Strech and I to see the Medina family.  

Wednesday 7/29:  Played basketball this morning.  Elder Strech isn't good so we will just be doing normal workouts in the morning ha.  W had his baptismal interview today.  He passed with flying colors and is a stud!  We had a great lesson with E.  She doesn't want to commit to anything so it's hard to work with her.  Tonight we took out some brand new missionaries who just came in the the MTC this afternoon.  I took out Elder Tebault (TeBo). He's a cool kid from Saint George, Utah.  He's going to be a stud missionary.  We saw V and Elder Tebault shared a great scripture with her.  It was a good first lesson for him.

Thursday 7/30:  I got huge this morning!  I'm trying to get fit and I still wake up at 5:30 but now I do cardio and weights.  Elder Strech is my get huge workout comp.  This morning we sang to the new missionaries coming in.  It's always weird seeing these new missionaries coming in, looking all young, and looking nervous haha.  This Elder that bore his testimony told the new missionaries that they all looked, "Shiny" ha.  The rest of the day pretty much sucked.  No one had time or wanted to listen.  What made it even better was the wonderful heat of 104 degrees.  Fantastico!  We saw A tonight and had a great discussion with him.  He's preparing to go back to Mexico City.  He showed me where Real Del Monte, Hidalgo is and its only 1 1/2 hours from his house.  He said it's really beautiful there.  Tonight I had my first Zone Leader Conference call and they had me give the opening prayer.  Of course picking on the new guy.
Friday 7/31:  I had my first new missionary training this morning with Elder Swiderski.  It was weird because I flashed back to when I was new and had zone leaders helping me, now I'm the zone leader.  Elder Strech and Elder Eldridge had their first district meeting today as well.  They did good for their first time.  We taught E today and are trying to get him coming to church and ready the scriptures.  Tonight we drove to Corvallis to see Nashville Tribute perform.  I drove up with a Elder Workman and I got shotgun as he drove so we just talked the whole time.  We got to meet all the peeps from Nashville Tribute.  It was pretty sweet seeing them perform.

Saturday 8/1:  Today was Elder Johansons birthday.  We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings which was bomb!  W was baptized today!  It was great being a part of that.  He was super excited.  

Sunday 8/2:  Elder Johanson confirmed W today.  His Grandfather who baptized W was super stoked to see him receive the Holy Ghost.  The Salgados brought a couple to church who are super Golden!  M and M are going to get baptized soon!  Members are the best!  Elder Johanson and I taught Gospel Principles today with a 2 minute notice.  We had Stake Correlation today with President Ennis.  It went well for our first time.  Being a ZL is a lot of work!

So this week I read an article in the Ensign.  It says...

As a new General Authority, Elder Marion G. Romney (1897–1988) felt inadequate in fulfilling his important calling, so he sought advice from his friend Elder Harold B. Lee (1899–1973) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The counsel offered that day both surprised and motivated Elder Romney. Elder Lee said: “If you are to be successful as a General Authority, you will need to be inspired. You will need to receive revelation. I will give you one piece of advice: Go to bed early and get up early. If you do, your body and mind will become rested and then in the quiet of those early morning hours, you will receive more flashes of inspiration and insight than at any other time of the day.”

Years later, reflecting back on that experience, then-President Romney said: “From that day on, I put that counsel into practice, and I know it works. Whenever I have a serious problem, or some assignment of a creative nature with which I hope to receive the influence of the Spirit, I always receive more assistance in the early morning hours than at any other time of the day.”

When I first read this account, I too was surprised by the advice Elder Lee gave. I would never have connected an early daily schedule with revelation. However, I now know that there is a direct correlation. I have also learned that actions traditionally associated with receiving revelation like prayer, scripture study, fasting, temple attendance, and service are greatly enhanced when I go to bed early and get up early.
  

Thanks for the support and love!

Love you all!

Love,
Elder Perrine



No comments:

Post a Comment