Sunday, April 12, 2015

Corvallis - Week 46

Buenos Dias!  Como le va?

Monday 3/30:  Today was good day.  We didn't have a ton of miles so we didn't really go anywhere so we just chilled at the church building.  We played basketball and volleyball.  It was actually a lot of fun and it was good exercise.  Elder Thompson and I didn't have a dinner so we made some chimichangas and baked some cookies that we had with ice cream.  I kind of enjoy cooking and baking now a days.  It's fun and the food is even better haha.  I also got a bunch of books from the church the other day because they were in a table that said free.  One of them I started reading tonight called, "Master of Your Self", by Robert L. Backman.  He was the President of the First Quorum of the Seventy.  It's a book about being successful in life and how to accomplish it.  It's awesome and I've learned a lot already!  I've come to like reading books.  But more on the side of Gospel books.  I can care less about any of those made up garbage books.

Tuesday 3/31:  This morning since we are out of miles in our car we rode the bus down to COI and we worked at organizing a room full of all kinds of stuff.  While we were cleaning we found a BOP IT game and started playing it.  It was super fun and that was probably like the first time I've played it.  We also ate at Cibellis Pizza.  It's New York style and the place is cool and the Pizza is bomb.  You can get a giant slice for a couple bucks.  Sister Dye also brought us some dessert from Jillicious which is owned by a member.  It was bomb!  So today we rode the Bus everywhere!  Including to Philomath.  Bus rides are always interesting and you always meet some odd people haha.  When we got to Philomath we still had to walk another 2 or so miles to get to the Haslams.  We ran like the last mile or so because we were already late haha.  It was an awesome adventure.  I just LOVE the Haslams.  They are a super awesome family.  Tonight after dinner we dyed Easter eggs as we wore lady bug aprons because we didn't want to get anything on our clothes haha.  We also helped Brother Haslam clean his Orthodontist office tonight to return the favor of helping us out.  As we were there he also checked our teeth and cleaned them for us.  I love awesome members who help us out.  The Haslams are definitely one of my favorites.

Wednesday 4/1:  Today was just a pretty plain day.   We did some family history which was a blast and I was able to find a bunch of people and link them.  There's just something about doing family history work, it's just a great feeling and we can find relatives, learn about them, or fix their information.  It's awesome!  We also taught Hermana Lupe tonight and we had a great talk with her.  She loves having the missionaries over.  While we were there a friend came over named Elena and we started talking with her as well.  Lupe started bearing testimony about some Gospel Principles and them she just jumped into the Restoration so we went along as well.  Lupe just started teaching her friend and bearing powerful testimony.  It was so awesome.  We need to start taking Lupe out to lessons with us more often because she can teach haha.

Thursday 4/2:  So today Elders Howard and Swanson came into our area because both of their comps had to go to Eugene for a meeting.  So in the morning Elder Howard and I were together and went up to Adair Village to track down some Hispanics.  We talked to a few people but we couldn't find like any Hispanics.  We talked to some white people who were super rude.  People in Adair Village don't like to be bothered.  They are non social haha.  We did find a trailer park out in the middle of no where full of Hispanics. It was nice hanging with Elder Howard for a bit.  After lunch Elder Swanson forgot he was suppose to go teach Bruce and since I knew him I wanted to go see him.  It was nice talking with him and seeing how's he doing.  Seems like everytime I see him things are getting better which is great.  We also helped a lady load up her Uhaul.  There was so much stuff.  And of course every move needs a piano.  So the piano dolly broke so another guy and I just picked it up from both sides and carried it outside and up the ramp and put it in the Uhaul.  I just went beast mode! Haha.  The lady was like, " wow are you guys body builders", haha.     Since we didn't have a dinner today Brother Lewis who was at the move invited us over to eat.  I love the Lewis's.  We had a great dinner with them and Brother Lewis told us some stories about his mission in New Zealand.  He said when he was finished with his mission it took him about a month to get home because he basically flew to every island in the pacific and stayed there for a few days then flew to the next.  I wish I could do that after my mission to be able to see all those places for free haha.

Friday 4/3:  We had a great District Meeting this morning.  We talked about the tools that we have as missionaries and the importance of using them.  I taught about the importance of daily scripture study.  I had a great time teaching that because I learned a lot for myself as I studied it.  We also did a fun activity and Elder Thompson was blind folded and had to go through obstacles to find tools that missionaries use to teach investigators.  It was so funny!  Then after District Meeting we went and helped Renee again with her floors.  She's such a pain to work with because she doesn't know what she's talking about so it slows down the work.  Crazy people drive me crazy!  Then Brother Haslam picked us up and we went out to Philomath to help with soccer practice.  Sister Haslam is a great coach and she put us to work.  I was dying haha.  I didn't realize how out of shape I am.  We did some fun stuff and I was able to help out the kids.  We did a PK shoot out and I was one of the goalies.  I felt like I was back at the District Cup Championship.  I was beast mode and stopped a bunch of goals diving all over the place haha.  I forgot how much fun it was to be a Goalie.  We also went over to Hermana Lupes tonight and laid down some carpeting in her house and fixed a couple chairs.  I love helping people out because they are always so grateful and happy.  It was an adventurous day!

Saturday 4/4:  So today was the first day of conference!  We went over to the Kings for the morning session.  Sister King made us bunny pancakes.  They were so awesome haha.  After we watched conference we played some golf on his simulator game.  Then we tried throwing a baseball as fast as we could haha.  We had a blast at the Kings!  We watched the second part of conference at the Stake Center with some other Elders.  Nobody was there because everywhere was at home haha.  In between conference and priesthood session we went over to Hermana Lupes because she made us a snack called Juevos Abogados (drowned eggs). It was bomb!  I loved this Priesthood session.  I felt like the theme for today was Marriage and Families.  We had dinner with Hermana Lupe and the Islas family tonight.  I love hanging out with them.  

Sunday 4/5:  This morning we went over to the Haslams to watch General Conference and spend Easter with them.  They had some of their older kids and a bunch of other friends there so it was good to meet them.  Conference was great as always!  We had a good lunch with them.  I made some bomb cookies and helped make these cool potatoes things.  We also went over to the Islas for dinner today.  I love that family.  Even though they have so little, they are willing to give all they have to help others out.  They are some amazing examples.

This week I read this talk given by President Thomas S. Monson in the January 2015 Ensign called Follow the Prophets.

I would not hold the position in the Church I hold today had I not followed the counsel of a prophet, had I not prayed about that decision, had I not come to an appreciation of an important truth: the wisdom of God ofttimes appears as foolishness to men. But the greatest single lesson we can learn in mortality is that when God speaks and His children obey, they will always be right.

It has been said that history turns on small hinges, and so do our lives. Decisions determine destiny. But we are not left unaided in our decisions.

If you want to see the light of heaven, if you want to feel the inspiration of Almighty God, if you want to have that feeling within your bosom that your Heavenly Father is guiding you, then follow the prophets of God. When you follow the prophets, you will be in safe territory. (Follow the Prophets)

If we want to be safe and guided then we must always follow the Prophets.  I was grateful for this weekend where we were able to listen to the Prophets and Apostles.  They are men of God and receive revelation that we need to hear.

I love you all! =)

Love,
Elder Perrine









No comments:

Post a Comment