Friday, December 19, 2014

Medford - Week 30

Hola hola hola,


Monday was a decent P-Day.  I was super tired for some reason so I only played basketball for a little but it was still fun.  P-Days are nice days to chill.  We had a bomb dinner at Clantons like always.
They take really good care of us.  We had another lesson with P. which wasn't very good. :(  I feel like he is more focused on proving us wrong than he is to learning of what we teach.  Men that harden their hearts cannot and will not learn and feel the spirit until they soften their heart.  We are going to give him one more chance.  He asks a lot of deep questions which has been good for me to study though.

Tuesday we went to the church in the morning so Elder Allen could practice the songs he is playing at Zone conference tomorrow.  We also vacuumed out our car because it is super dirty and also got a car wash today because we have inspections on our car tomorrow so it has to be perfect.  The car looks super clean now.  We even waxed it.  We helped at St. Vinnys some more today.  Then Nadine wanted to take us out to lunch so we went to Mcdonalds like we always do.  She takes care of us haha.  Lunch at least once a week including some homemade baked goods. (I've gotten the chance to get to know Nadine a little.  Super nice lady and just loves "her boys")  Today we also taught D. and C.  D. isnt a member, but C. is.  D. is a really cool guy and I know he will get baptized soon.  We had dinner with Hermana Humildad who always cooks bomb Mexican food. He made fried fish, rice, and potatoes. I don't normally like fish but this stuff was pretty good especially with lime.  Always have to have limes on Mexican food.  We also taught C. again today.  She's really progressing as well.  She called us today asking us if we could come over and teach her.  That's unheard of haha.  We taught her the Plan of Salvation and wants to be baptized but wants to learn more first.  She might be moving back to Mexico which would be sad but we could find missionaries there as well.

Wednesday we woke up at 6am...  So early...  And drove north to Grants Pass which was about 40 minutes.  The drive was beautiful. Full of green and lots of trees.  Got to love Mother Nature.  Zone Conference was extremely long but extremely awesome.  I learned lots of great things and the spirit was so strong during all the talks.  Zone conference was really focused on Joseph Smith and his life and also Jesus Christ and his life.  President Russell is an inspired man and I can testify of that.  The things that I was able to learn from him helped me understand a lot and strengthened my testimony.  It was an amazing conference.  They also sang to the birthday peeps from these months which included me of course.  We got a toothbrush and mints for our presets. Yayyyyy..... Haha. I also got the testimony from you mom. I really enjoyed reading it and I learned things I didn't even know about you haha.  But dad don't think you got out of it that easy.  If you don't mind I would like you to do the same, of your conversion story and all that good stuff and how the church has blessed you.  It would be cool to read and you can just email it to me. Please and thank you.  Oh also if you google grandpa chiapa can you find records of his soccer career?

Thursday was a great day!  The big storm came in last night and it was super windy and it's pouring rain now.   I guess the Clantons big tree in their front yard decided it was tired of standing up and wanted to lay down so that's exactly what it did, it laid down haha.  So we had fun using a chain saw (with protective gear of course) and cut it all up.  I got to put my mad skills back to use haha.  (Got to use his skills from his Eagle Project)  It was a lot of fun and we got it done super fast.  I was surprised.  The Clantons were extremely grateful that we helped them.  I love service!  Later in the day we had dinner at La Burrita, always an amazing dinner.  Then we went to teach an investigator which of course wasn't home so as we were walking back to the car I noticed a car in someone's drive and their light inside the car was on so we decided to go and knock on the door to let them know.  Well they turned out to be Hispanic, so of course we taught them and they seem pretty interested.  After we left we knew that light was on for a purpose and that the spirit guided us to that house.  It was a super cool experience.  After that we taught F. and D. about the commandments and all that good stuff.  We brought Pero, which is basically Mormon coffee to exchange for her coffee but she wouldn't cough her coffee up and exchange it.  So we just gave her the Pero to try and hopefully next time we can take the coffee away from her.  It's like training a little kid haha.  Another funny thing happened this night.  We tried a member who is less active but wasn't home so we knocked on their neighbors door to ask if they even still lived there. They didn't and then we asked if he has met with missionaries before.  He then told us, "Bros I appreciate what you do,  but as you can see I'm having a special moment with my son right now".  Their special moment was getting higher than kites and blasting music.  Before he even opened the door you could smell the marijuana.  That's a great special moment he was having teaching his son great things.  Some parents are such losers now a days haha.  We felt like teaching him the word of wisdom haha.  It's a pity that marijuana is now legal here in Oregon.  A bunch of hippies.  There's signs everywhere that say "Doobie = DUI".  Never thought I'd see a sign like that before.

Friday we took a long walk of faith all day.  We gave up the car and just walked everywhere and talked to a ton of people.  Talked to a guy named Marcel who is from France and speaks French.  He recognized my name was French.  Pretty cool guy.  We knocked on so many doors today. We talked to a college kid named D. who lived in Hawaii for 3 years and met missionaries there so now we are going to continue to teach him.  Super cool find.  Talked to a guy who was super sick and we found out he is actually a less active named Brother Brown.  That was crazy.  Talked to a crazy Mexican lady for about 30 mins and then all of a sudden she said your 5 mins is up.  I'm done listening to you guys.  Which the only reason we were still talking to her is because she asked us a ton of questions.  So we were like okay then.  Well did you learn anything from what we just taught you and she just said it was all boring.  Even Jesus Christ is boring and that the Holy Ghost scares her because it's a Ghost.  She was probably in her 30's.  She needed to grow up.   Then we talked to another crazy white lady who said "why did you call me" and we said we didn't and then she just slammed the door hahahaha oh man. Then we taught a super old guy named Rodger who I'm not sure if he was even really alive hahaha.  Then finally after tons of crazy people we found a decent Hispanic family.  Margarito and his son Danny Franco. They are from Hidalgo which was super cool.(Chris' Grandpa Chiapa is from Hidalgo) He knew about Pachuca and I told him my great grandpa played for them and he thought that was super cool.  I love having Mexican family because it's an instant connection with Hispanics.  We are going back to teach them more. We also had sports night and played basketball with a bunch of members. I thought we were playing soccer at parts in the game.  I got confused.  Playing basketball with Hispanics is hilarious! Haha.  Good day.  Oh and on top of things it's been raining and is cold.  Gotta love it!

Saturday we got to help at the Medford Food Pantry.  Every 2 months leaders of neighborhoods are assigned to pick up food donations and bring them to the warehouse.  There were so many people!  Something like 36,000 pounds of food.  It's a huge organization to help out the community.  They had a live group of Carolers who sang Christmas songs.  The news people were there taking video.  I'm famous now! Haha.  It was a really cool experience to be able to help out there. I also got my packages today and met Mike.  Cool guy.  I wasn't expecting 3 boxes hahaha.  Thank you very much for all the nummies and decorations.  The tree and apartment look way better now!  Thank you! I put my presents under the Christmas tree. It looks good.  Hung up the stockings as well.  I saw the card and cookies to give to Nadine and the Clantons.  The Christmas music is also super awesome!  I've been wanting  some really good Christmas music and those CDs have it all!  So later today we talked to a new guy named Roberto Cortez. He's a super cool guy.  He's from Morelia Michoacan.  We had a really good discussion with him and I think he will turn out to be a good investigator.  Also had a great lesson with the F. and D.  We brought Hermano Torres with us and he bore powerful testimonies about tithing and about keeping the commandments and all that. It was great having him there.  F. is really pumped for his baptism.  He is filled with the spirit.  Super awesome!

Sunday felt like it was never going to end haha.  Good day though.  It was freezing this morning.  It's starting to get cold!  Church was a blast.  Lots of people came but also a lot were gone.  I guess next
year we are starting at 9am... So early but it's not like I can sleep in anyways haha.  I also had the opportunity to bless the sacrament again.  It's so much nicer in Spanish.  I like it!  So after church
before we went to dinner we decided to go to the mall... But not to buy stuff haha, but to hand our He Is and The Gift cards to everyone going and coming to the mall.  We handed out like 40+ cards in less
than an hour.  We weren't sure if we were suppose to hand out cards  there but we didn't care because we were doing the lords work haha. It was super fun and we talked to a ton of people.  Some rude and some super nice and grateful for someone to help others remember the true meaning of Christmas.  It was a really cool new experience.  We had really good dinner at the Rojas.  Then we went to teach the C. family again.  We taught them the Restoration and I thought it went really well.  They are three boys who were interested in learning but the parents aren't too interested which is sad because they are a great family.  We are hoping they will recognize that this Gospel can help them.

This week I've been reading a lot of the New Testament.  Great stuff! I've learned a lot of my Savior Jesus Christ from all his teachings.The Parables and miracles are super awesome.  One of my favorites that I read was...

9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. Luke 18:9-14

What can we learn from this Parable?

From this we can view two sides of prayer.  One of the Pharisee and the other the Publican.  The Pharisee who boasted in himself and exalted himself and did not ask anything of God but relied on his on strength.  And then the Publican who Humbled himself before God viewed himself as a sinner and appealed to God for mercy and forgiveness of his sins.

What we can learn from this is that we need to always be humble.

10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. James 4:10

“Humility is an attribute of godliness possessed by true Saints. It is easy to understand why a proud man fails. He is content to rely upon himself only. … The proud man shuts himself off from God, and when he does he no longer lives in the light. …

Let us strive to live in light and be humble as true saints are.

I love you guys!

Love,
Elder Perrine


I just love reading his letters and all the hard work and effort he is putting into meeting, teaching and spreading the gospel to others.  Makes a mom proud!









 




No comments:

Post a Comment