Friday, December 19, 2014

Medford - Week 28

Hola Padres,

Monday was a blast.  We all got together again to play some flag football which was super fun!  Man I should of been a quarterback or a kicker for the football team because I'm a beast haha.  (Once again, my humble son,)  It's nice playing sports because it helps to calm down and just relax and play sports.  Good stuff.  This night we also contacted some Hispanics at a trailer park and tons of them actually answered their doors and told us they would like us to come back.

Tuesday we helped at St. Vinnys again.  It's always nice doing service and helping the needy.  Elder Allen and I had to clean up a poopy mess that someone left out on the floor.  I guess they messed themselves and left.  That was fun... Not! (Oh my gosh!  That is so gross.  I can't believe he picked it up.  He doesn't handle that stuff very well.)  Then someone threw up all over the coffee maker.  We luckily didn't have to clean that up though.  So there's a guy there named J. who I'm now Facebook friends with.  He's a super cool guy. Kind of looks like Grandpa Perrine and acts like him haha.  It's super weird because his name is also J.  It's really fun talking with him. He does a lot of woodwork and makes a lot of cool stuff.   We had a lot of small miracles today finding people at home and just talking to a lot of interested people.  If we are listening, the spirit will guide us to those who are ready to listen to us.  We had dinner with the Balero Family.  The ones that remind me of G&G Perrine.  We took them to see F. and D. and taught them another lesson.  They are really starting to progress now.  We set a baptismal date for the 20th of December.  I'm hoping they will continue to progress and be ready for baptism that date.  Super exciting.

Wednesday we worked at St. Vinnys again.  This time Nadine and Meg weren't there.  Just Paul the Chef and some missionaries.  So I called up some more missionaries and we went ham on preparing food and doing everything.  I pretty much know how to run the place because I've been doing it for so long so I just took charge telling people what to do.  Then on top of that Paul the Chef had to leave early so I had to finish cooking some food.  (What??  Who are you and what have you done with my son.  Cooking? :)  But all in all it went really smooth to my surprise.  It was a lot of fun as well.  After coming out of St. Vinnys we noticed that our tire was flat so we had to put the little donut on and take it to les schaub to get it fixed but they just ended up putting two new tires on the front which is nice haha. So after that headache was fixed we just went around visiting people and inviting everyone to the big Spanish branch potluck on Thanksgiving.  We also knocked on one door and a lady told us to get lost.  I thought it was super funny.  People are just crazy but it's fun talking and meeting random people.

Thursday was Thanksgiving!  It was a blast!  About 30 of us including 10 or so missionaries played football at a high school on their nice field for about 3 hours haha.  It was really good exercise and
everyone thought I played high school and college football but they were shocked when I told them I never played haha.  I guess I should of played football.  After that we just relaxed all day and visited
members, played board games with Elders, and then at 6:00, the Spanish Branch had a huge potluck dinner.  There wasn't that much food there. Kind of lame but it was decent.  There was also really good Spanish music playing.  I think the whole neighborhood could hear it.  Spanish parties are the best!

Friday we had District meeting and talked about how we can better prepare and study to teach our investigators and also how we can have the Spirit lead us more.  It was a good meeting.  We always learn something new.  Today we had exchanges and Elder Sorenson, my District leader, came to my area.  We also got paid today!  Money! Haha. But we got a lot of work done.  We went down to Ashland because he's never been down there and Ashland is a just a cool and crazy city haha.  He
also wanted to try the nasty Lithia water.  That was pretty funny. There was also a huge city parade thing going on so streets were blocked off and there were tons of people so that was fun getting around.  We taught a new investigator L. and his mom F.  Had dinner at La Burrita.  It's nice eating there because we can just relax.  Went and saw the Fuentes family and also L's, who are less active and shared a spiritual message with them.

Saturday Elder Sorenson and I went to work and St. Vinnys thrift shop and worked on checking Christmas lights and putting together Christmas trees.  Also got some Christmas music to listen too.  Favorite time of the year!  I love Christmas music!  We later on switched back companions and continued on with the work.  It's hard having a companion that doesn't speak Spanish on exchanges because I'm doing all the talking.  Today we taught a new investigator and also a bunch of less active families.  There are a lot of good families that need to come back to church.  I think if everyone came it could be a ward instead of a branch.  Also learned of Edward Hunter who I guess was someone important in the early years of the church who I never heard of.  Spanish makes my head hurt haha.  I have come to the conclusion that talking isn't my strength.  I'd rather just do some physical work haha.  But just like in Ether 12:27,  God gives us weaknesses that we may be humble and turn unto him, so he may make our weak things become strong.

Sunday was a nice day.  We had 6 investigators at church today which was super awesome because that's a lot.  (That's awesome.)  The work is really starting to progress more and more.  F. and D. also said they want to be baptized on the 20th of December so we will continue to work with them.  We had dinner with the Rojas Family like every Sunday.  They are awesome!  It has been a really great week full of a lot of great success.

In my studies this week I read a talk called, Keeping The Sabbath Day Holy by Ezra Taft Benson in the May 1971 Ensign.  It is a really powerful talk about keeping the Sabbath day holy and the importance of
it.  I encourage you to read it.  But my favorite part was this...

As Latter-day Saints, we accept Sunday as the Christian Sabbath and proclaim its sanctity. We believe that in this dispensation of the fulness of times the law of the Sabbath has been revealed and reaffirmed unto the Church.

“And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;

“For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High;

“Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times;

“But remember that on this, the Lord’s day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord.

“And on this day thou shalt do none other thing, only let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full.” (D&C 59:9–13.)

By direct revelation authority, the Church teaches that Sunday is the acceptable day for Sabbath observance as the Lord’s day. President Joseph Fielding Smith, commenting on the Lord’s day, said: “The Lord’s day was, of course, Sunday, and on this day the Latter-day Saints have been commanded to observe the weekly Sabbath. So far as the Latter-day Saints are concerned, the Lord has spoken. This settles the question.”

What a powerful statement made by President Joseph Fielding Smith.  A lot of people that I talk to always ask why we have church on Sunday because that's not what the bible says.  It might be true that it was on Saturday but after Jesus Christ Resurrection which was on a Sunday we know that he changed it to the Lords Day as the Sabbath day.  We also have modern Prophets that have told us this as well.  It just shows the importance of the Prophets in these modern days to lead and guide us.  I love the part, "The Lord has spoken, this settles the question."  Boooooyahhhh!!!!  (Haha!)

Hope your week was amazing!

Mom hope your birthday was also a blast and that you got my card!

Love you guys!

Love,
Elder Perrine




No comments:

Post a Comment